Welcome to Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday! If you're new here, I shared a tutorial on Wednesday on making a 16" heart quilt block, because I wanted to get rid of some of my novelty stash by turning them into pillows full of love. I kept the momentum going and quilted a few of them for this Friday's finish!
These two heart pillows were the main reason I wanted to develop the pattern. When we moved this summer, the military made it awesomely easy by sending my husband home from deployment five days before the movers arrived - oh, and he still had to finish some testing and paperwork before he could actually move. (That of course couldn't be done on deployment.)
Since we (the family) wanted to be in Oklahoma before school started, not two weeks after, we moved, he flew back to Washington, and stayed with a friend for a bit while he finished his paperwork. Since that friend saved us hotels and dinners out, I've been meaning to make some sort of gift.
Said friend doesn't have children at home, so they have a whole room devoted to wine. Sigh. Someday, kids, that's what I'm doing to one of your bedrooms. The wine room has a little couch, so I knew I wanted to make pillows showing off that love and devotion.
And that's what I did! Better yet - this is the leftover backing from one of my t-shirt quilts, so I'm using up something that I didn't really need in my stash. (Never mind the fact that it's been chilling in the stash for three years. It's aged. Like a fine wine.)
It's a simple envelope style back, with overlocked seams inside so it can be washed.
And let's talk about the quilting! I got my own longarm, Patricia, in November. When the technician set it up, he told me each handle had TWO buttons that could control different things. I laughed and said there was no way I could manage more than one button per hand.
I was wroooooooooooong.
(I need to apologize to the tech if he's in the shop when I go to my new owners class.)
You see the ABCD on the bottom of my tablet? Those are the four settings - typically I use needle up (single stitch) on the right handle AB and start/stop on the left handle CD. For this quilting, I did horizontal and vertical lines, so I cautiously set the B to toggle my vertical (or horizontal) channel lock.
HALLELUJAH IT WORKED! Since I marked my 1.5" grid in advance, I would just lock B, stitch down CD, needle up A, unlock B, move over, lock B, stitch up CD. All without taking my fingers off the handles! It took me twenty minutes to quilt both of these with absolutely accurate cross hatching, especially since I didn't even stop in between the horizontal lines. (And yes, there are two more blocks above them.)
This might not be a big deal to seasoned longarm owners, but for me it was amazing. Almost worth the price tag on this thing. Send me all the things you want cross hatched, because I want to do this some more!
Continuing the leftovers theme, I used scrap batting. I'm doing a great job keeping that under control. /sarcasm/
The original block was 16" finished, but I added 1" sashing all around. After seeing it in a pillow form, it was definitely the right decision to make the heart pop.