Crosscut, Version 1 - a Finished Mini!

  This project was born back in May, when Debbie from A Quilter's Table posted some X-blocks on Instagram which she then chopped into smaller squares to send to her Bee-mates. She subsequently posted a tutorial where the chopped blocks were rearranged and sewn back together to make the coolest improv thing I had ever seen.

I instantly fell in love. With improv. At least, that improv. Improv that even I could do!

At my enthusiastic urging, she ran a quilt-along on Instagram at the end of July. Except I got a sinus infection that week, the Little Dude got a sinus infection that week, and my husband rounded it out with a kidney stone. I couldn't keep up, and really, I made some design decisions that I didn't exactly fall in love with...

I used uniform 1.5" strips in a single fabric, and it was just too wide and too...consistent. My blocks are smaller overall, with less low-volume to make the strips stand out like they ought to.

I couldn't decide on a color scheme - hence the one multi-colored fabric - mostly because I loved Debbie's pink/low volume version, but I didn't want to copy it. Which is silly, because I think of all the quilty-people I know, Debbie would be the one most likely to say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I used one of her signature quilting - matchstick, focusing on a certain point of the design and moving out from there. And I switched from white to multi-colored thread every few lines, which is a subtle addition.

And don't get me wrong - I don't hate it. It's up on one of my mini-walls, right there with my kid's artwork. I just don't love it like I loved the original inspiration. So I plan on trying again - because even if I follow her instructions and the color scheme, it will still be a totally different mini because of the nature of improv-rearranging.


See also: Finish It Up Friday, Whoop WhoopTGIFF, Needle & Thread ThursdayMonday Making, Main Crush MondayFabric Tuesday, Finish Along{list}