H is for Henry - Finished!

So this finish makes me giddy.


Henry, the son of a good friend, thinks his name is "Hank the Crank," so he really needs this reminder.

His mom {who runs Bumps'n'Roo} picked the pattern and fabric {all from the Curiosities and Mischief line.}

Things that make me giddy - my applique didn't come out half bad. I took the advice of Lynn from What A Hoot and used newsprint paper as a stabilizer  and watched Connecting Thread's video to see how to turn corners. I didn't always turn perfectly, but there's a lot more good ones than bad ones.

Oh, and the tiny minor I SORT-OF-FREE-MOTION-QUILTED THE WHOLE DARN THING.

Okay, so it's a panto on a long arm and I can trace a line with a giant machine, stitch regulator, and a laser pointer. But I did it!

I did chicken out on filling the "holes" in the panto with freehand...but I'll get there. I also chickened out on not panto-ing the middle section, but the quilting is light enough that it doesn't distract from the letters.

I don't love the backing, but it's a nice soft flannel, so it'll be snuggly. 

Oh, look, I can still get a wind shot in Washington!

The original pattern stopped at the second red border - a tiny 28" quilt. My friend intended the yellow/orange to be the backing, but I used it as another border to bring it up to a normal size - 38x40."

Linked: