Superdogs - A Finished Quilt

Wait - actually - it's finished quiltS! But they're almost the same quilt, so they get to share a post. 

IMG_6767.jpg

These came about because I purchased this superdog flannel for a Minecraft quilt backing, because I thought the recipient was younger. I ended up getting the paw prints that is one of the strips instead.

IMG_6772.jpg

The quilts aren't exactly the same - the layout is different and one is slightly longer - but they work well as twin quilts.

IMG_6769.jpg

For the quilting, I tried loops and dog bones. My first attempts were a little wonky, but by the end of the second quilt, I was pretty good at them!

IMG_6775.jpg

The backing for both is more of the superdog fabric. Out of the five yards I had, there's only a few strips left! The binding is the dark blue flannel strips, cut to 3", which I adore. It's such a thick, cozy binding.

IMG_6776.jpg

I did forget to put my label on them...but I'm thinking these quilts might just need one of my little labels anyway. Once I figure out which drawer I put those in...!

IMG_6774.jpg

I used up most of the paw prints, plaid, and tie dye as well! They might not be the most exciting of quilts, but the reduction of the flannel scrap bins is always worth celebrating. I already have the next backing ready to go!

And the batting inside is pieced from scraps - I can alllllllmost close my batting bin now.

IMG_6770.jpg

Dinosaurs On a Spaceship - A Finished Quilt

This may be another easy flannel strip quilt, but it has a few stories to go with it. So be prepared to read longer than it took me to actually make it!

space_flannel_quilt.jpg

There's a Dr Who episode in which the Doctor helps deal with dinosaurs on a spaceship. You know, normal every day stuff with the Doctor. And it was the episode that aired the weekend my friend was visiting and got us hooked on Doctor Who. (We binged the new series in order, but knowing there was an episode about dinosaurs...in space! was intriguing enough to start the obsession with my then-six-year old.)

So given the dinosaur constellations and all the rockets and outer space in this one, it was an easy name to pick out.

Rockets - planetsgreen dots - orange dots

It's a bit smaller than the last strip quilt, because the constellations and the dark blue planets were leftover from PJ pants, so they were more long chunks than strips.

space_flannel_quilt2.jpg

I used a pantograph on this quilt - a free one from Urban Elementz. I wanted to refresh my memory on doing pantos before I decide which ones to buy. This was a fun little star and a nice change of pace from my usual loops and stars. I didn't think my straight lines were going all that perfectly, but they look great on the quilt. 

space_flannel_quilt3.jpg

And then the backing! So, the Dude is a giant space nerd. And one of the arguments we always have is whether or not Pluto deserves to be a planet. He sides with astronomers - with valid points about planet size - and I side with "you can't just declare that Pluto isn't a planet anymore!" So when I saw this flannel at Joann's, clearly showing PLUTO AS A PLANET, I had to get it. On principle.

space_flannel_quilt4.jpg

I used 3" wide binding again - it makes a nice chunky frame on these quilts. And while I had the dark blue scraps out, I made enough binding for the next two strip quilts. Planning ahead!

space_flannel_quilt5.jpg

The Leftovers - a Finished Quilt!

  This was a simple, fast finish...so do you want to know how long it was hanging out in my sewing room, partially finished? No, no you don't.

It started out as a quilt-as-you-go project. That didn't go well - by four strips in, it was unwieldy, the stitches were uneven, and the whole thing was getting a bit slanted. So I ripped the strips off the backing and started over.

I bought 1.75 yards of the backing fabric and cut off 6" for a middle stripe on the front. {And another chunk that I thought I was going to use in the front, but didn't. So now I have a new leftover piece to start another one!}

Everything else - leftovers. Backings, mostly. Specifically, Road to OK/WA {purple}, Vera Bradley {teal}, and Flirt {white with dots}. Because I use a longarm, I have about 4" leftovers on each side, and another chunk from the bottom. So I just sewed together 44" strips until I had a long enough chunk for 1.5 yards of backing!

The quilting - an X with 1" echoes - is also leftovers - emptying out bobbins of various colors. Purples, teals, pinks - they all got their chance.

And all of the batting is leftover strips, too!

I used more teal for the binding - cut to 2.75" as it's flannel. Now there's only a few bits left of that one! And because rules are silly, I machine bound it with a bright pink bobbin thread.

This didn't even make a dent in my flannel scrap bins. But I didn't mind the process {other than basting - ugh, that's why I switched to longarm!} so I'll match some more backing strips together soon!

I planned on this going to Happy Chemo or Camp Hobe as part of the Hands 2 Help Charity Quilt Challenge, but it may be a bit too small. {44x56"} If so, it'll be donated locally to Project Linus.

See also: Finish It Up Friday, Whoop WhoopTGIFF, Needle & Thread ThursdayMonday Making, Main Crush MondayScraptastic Tuesday, Oh Scrap!, Show Off SaturdayOne Monthly GoalFinish Along{list}